Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Character Qualitiies

I am a huge fan of the Duggar Family. Anyone who can homeschool a family of 20 must know what she's doing.  One thing I got from her book that I loved was that they would all sit around the dinner table (more like a conference table) and they would discuss character qualities that they would like to develop.

 Here is a link to a great chart of Character Qualities.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/images/characterqualities.pdf


I thought that our family could stand to learn quite a few of these so I decided to attack them one at a time.

First up:

(That's my soon to be seven year old son, our youngest boy, holding our blackboard)

Generosity: Realizing that all I have belongs to God and using it for His purposes.


I had the littler ones find the square (there are a lot of them) on the PDF sheet with the word Generosity and the older ones look up 2 Corinthians 9:6.

Then they looked it up in the dictionary, Bible dictionary and the topical guide. They all shared what they learned about it and we added it to the blackboard. Then we shared experiences of times that someone was either generous or stingy with us and how it felt. Last, I challenged everyone to be more generous through the week. The next day my almost 7 year old was talking all about it. When his sister didn't share a puppet, "Remember what we learned yesterday? That is being stingy and we need to be generous!" Well he was right, she was quick to remember and kindly handed him the puppet(that she had just made).


Simple. The Scripture said that if we give freely and bless those around us that we will also freely receive and be blessed. I have seen this to be true in my life, I hope the children will see it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment